The formative years
[ St Albans Centennial Book (1905-2005) ]
Hagley Park was the home of Canterbury cricket long before the St Albans club came into being. The game was brought to the new colony by the original settlers and a club formed within six months of the arrival of the First Four Ships.
The oval upon which generations of St Albans players have performed was in use by the 1860s and for the next 40 years the United Canterbury and Midland clubs were the backbone of the sport. There was even an earlier St Albans club during the late 19th century.
The Canterbury Cricket Association was formed in 1877, charged with managing the grounds at Hagley Park and administering the sport. It was to be another quarter of a century before the first steps were taken towards introducing district club cricket.
Midland and United, faced with losing their identities, protested but to no avail. On June 20, 1905, the district scheme was adopted, with Linwood registering 46 players, Riccarton 46, Sydenham 45, St Albans 43, West Christchurch 35, and East Christchurch 34.
St Albans was formed at a general meeting held in the Wesleyan School Room on Rugby Street on August 31, 1905. Tom Reese chaired the meeting and moved the resolution to constitute the club.
The meeting was told the club would have to use Hagley Park in its first season, at a cost of about 35 pounds but it was hoped to have a ground of its own for the following season. A century later we are still here, and happy to be so.
Original club colours of blue with red binding and monogram were changed to navy blue and light blue in 1909/10.